19 November 2018 Week Two

The first Week in Lockroy

Here we are, the eight of us—four Port Lockroy team members, three in the Conservation Team and their field assistant, after 7 days on our tiny island, living in our hobbit house. I guess it goes without saying, that time flew during this first week. We had so much to learn about and so many things to get familiar with, on top of preparing the island for our first visitors. It is even hard to believe that we have only been here for a week. It seems like forever already. It is probably because we are quite comfortable here, with nice people and lovely penguins.

Comfort? Seriously!

When we were told about having no running water, buckets to be emptied for toilets, bunk beds and a small kitchen, it really felt like we were going to live in a burrow. Reality is far different! We don’t have running water, but we have a lot of jerrycans, and smart water pump systems for sinks in the bathroom and kitchen, that would make every campervan owner jealous. We have an actual toilet, with a lid, comfortable enough, with removable buckets to fit in, and maps and wildlife guides pinned on the walls.

We have a separate bedroom with 6 beds inside, lots of private storage space on shelves or in small cupboards under and at the end of each bed. Very smartly designed again. And to finish, we have a spacious living room with a gas chimney, a sofa, an armchair, a long table, a desk, a nice cooking area and lots of shelves. Painted in white with around 3.5m height between the ground and the ceiling, and four big windows, it is very light and welcoming.  It is a little bit challenging to be 8 living here currently, but we are managing.

Comfort is assured, with a lot of food, we can endure anything!

Regarding our life on base

We had our first ship visit on Wednesday and we had to have the shop ready in time. We put merchandise on display and filled all the shelves and stocked the cupboards to welcome our first visitors. We also had to prepare paths for them on the island, to make sure they won’t go to places that could disturb the penguins. Thus, blue cones and canes were placed in the snow. Hannah and I went on board for our first Base A presentation of the season. It was nice to set foot again on a ship and meet new people. The visit went well, and it was interesting to see people walking around and taking pictures in every corner of the place we already call home. Following that smaller visit, we had a bigger ship of visitors the same day. As they were too many for an island visit, we organised an onboard shop for them and gave presentations. And as they were very pleased, they invited the 8 of us for dinner that night. We also all got a key to a room for a shower. At this point, I have to mention that the conservation team hadn’t been able to shower for 14 days… It was time!

We haven’t had any more visits since Wednesday and we eagerly await, as we really would like to test ourselves. Hannah tries to remind us that we will have more ships to come. I know she is right, but still, we really want to get into it!

Fortunately, we have a lot of things to do to keep us busy! We put out the artefacts in the museum and were told about every room in the museum, to be able to answer visitor questions. We also must make storage space in the boat shed as our first cargo drop arrive in 10 days and will bring hundreds of boxes that must be stored correctly. So, we basically played Tetris. And... as expected, we had our share of snow shovelling this week. We opened the access to our ‘gash’ (waste disposal) site with ice axes and metal shovels, then secured the landing site by widening it and getting rid of snow banks above it. We then cleared the deck outside Bransfield House and the contour of the building. We did all that under an amazing sun and clear blue sky with stunning views of our surroundings: mountains, glaciers, icebergs, small islands, all covered in snow, lazing on a sunny afternoon in the summertime. Stunning!

Regarding the gentoos

They have been very busy running around hunting for stones to build their nests. They steal them from each other and it is always funny to see them using any distraction of the nest owner to subtilize its small belongings and then run to its own nest to put down its prize, that will only be stolen later on by its neighbour, and so on. Scientists made a study that aimed at recording stones movement in Gentoo colonies by marking some of them. The result is quite incredible. Stones really get moved all around the island! We spotted our first eggs on Thursday by the boat shed. I then did my first official counting on Friday, on the screen colony, the one used as a case study. 14 eggs spotted! Around 22% of nests had at least one egg. When it gets to 95% there, we will count all eggs on every nest on Goudier Island. It should be around Christmas time if we look at past years’ recordings.

With the first eggs, the first Skuas arrived on the island. One pair is here, probably trying to build their nest too, and looking for any opportunity to rob a penguin egg.

I must say that this first week went very well. I feel really good in this new life on our little island. The team spirit has been amazing. But we are not too tired yet. To be continued…




Première semaine à Lockroy

Nous voilà tous les huit – nous quatre et l’équipe de conservation – après sept jours sur notre petite île, dans notre cabane de hobbit. Inutile de vous dire que le temps est passé à toute vitesse durant cette première semaine. Nous avions tellement de choses à apprendre et avec lesquelles nous familiariser, en plus de préparer l’île pour nos premiers visiteurs, que nous avons l’impression d’être là depuis bien plus longtemps !

Le fait que nous soyons confortablement installé, avec une équipe au top et entourés de Manchots aide probablement.

 Confortable ? Sérieusement !

Et oui ! C’est sûr que lorsque l’on nous a dit qu’il n’y avait pas l’eau courante, que les toilettes se résumaient à un seau à vider, que les lits étaient tous dans un coin et la cuisine rikiki, nous nous attendions à passer quatre mois dans un terrier. Mais la réalité est tout autre. D’accord nous n’avons pas l’eau courante mais nous avons plein de jerrycans d’eau et des supers systèmes de pompe dans le lavabo et l’évier, qui ferait pâlir de jalousie les propriétaires de vans aménagés. Nous avons des vraies toilettes, avec lunette, suffisamment confortables, avec des seaux à la place de l’évacuation classique, et des beaux posters sur les murs. Nous avons aussi une chambre indépendante avec six lits dont deux superposés, des étagères et des rangements sous et au pied des lits. Tout bien pensé. Et pour finir, le logement contient un grand séjour, avec canapé, fauteuil, table à manger, bureau, bibliothèque, une petite cheminée à gaz, un grand plan de travail et plein de rangements. Tout est en blanc, avec une hauteur de plafond d’environ 3,5m, des grandes fenêtres. Notre terrier est donc finalement une belle maisonnette, claire et très agréable à vivre. À huit ça reste tout de même un challenge..

Le confort et la nourriture en abondance étant assurés, rien ne peut nous arriver !

 À propos de notre quotidien sur la base.

Nous avons eu la visite de notre premier bateau mercredi et devions avoir la boutique prête pour ça. Nous avons rempli les étagères, blindé les armoires de cartons et de stock pour accueillir nos premiers visiteurs. Nous avons aussi dû baliser les lieux de passage sur l’île afin de nous assurer que les visiteurs n’iraient pas n’importe où, et respecteraient les Manchots. Des cônes bleus ont ainsi fleuri un peu partout sur la neige. Hannah et moi sommes montés à bord pour donner notre première présentation de la « Base A » de la saison. C’était vraiment sympa de remettre les pieds sur un bateau et de rencontrer de nouvelles personnes. La visite s’est déroulée sans accros, et c’était amusant de voir tous ces visiteurs allant et venant, prenant des photos de tous les angles de ce lieu que nous considérons déjà comme notre chez nous. Une fois notre premier bateau et ses 118 passagers partis, un bateau de 400 personnes s’est présenté en fin de journée. Comme ils étaient trop nombreux pour visiter l’île (nous sommes limités à 350 personnes par jour), nous sommes tous montés à bord pour deux présentations et deux boutiques éphémères à deux étages différents. Comme ils étaient ravi de ce petit service rendu ils nous ont invité tous les huit à bord pour dîner, et nous ont remis à chacun les clés d’une chambre pour que nous puissions prendre une douche. Il faut dire que l’équipe de conservation ne s’était pas lavée depuis 14 jours. Il était temps !

Nous n’avons pas eu d’autres visites depuis mercredi, ce qui est un peu frustrant. Hannah nous rappelle souvent que d’ici quelques semaines nous n’en pourrons plus des visites, mais tout de même… On a hâte que ça commence vraiment ! Heureusement nous avons plein de choses à faire pour nous tenir occupé. Nous avons disposés les pièces de musée conservées dans le coffre et en avons profité pour une petite visite guidée. Nous devons faire de la place dans le boat shed où est tout notre stock en prévision du premier arrivage de marchandise  et ses 300 cartons dans 10 jours. Nous avons donc fait du tetris toute la semaine. Et comme prévu, nous avons eu notre part de pelletage de neige. Il a fallu sécuriser la zone d’amarrage des zodiacs en l’élargissant, creuser des marches au piolet dans la glace pour accéder à notre « déchetterie », et dégager la terrasse de Bransfield House. Nous avons fait tout ça sous un ciel superbe, soleil éblouissant, entourré de montagnes,  de glaciers massifs, d’icebergs, de petites îles, lazing on a sunny afternoon in summer time.. Topissim !

En ce qui concerne les Gentoos

ils sont occupés à courir après les cailloux pour construire leur nid. Ils se les piquent entre eux, et c’est vraiment rigolo de les voir guetter la moindre opportunité pour subtiliser un cailloux dans un nids et courir le rapporter dans le leur avant qu’il ne se le fasse à leur tour chiper par le voisin, et ainsi de suite. Des scientifiques ont fait l’expérience de marquer des pierres et de suivre leur parcourt, et elles font vraiment tout le tour de l’île. Nous avons vu notre premier œuf jeudi, près du Boat shed. J’ai donc effectué mon premier comptage officiel vendredi, dans la colonie témoin. 14 œufs comptés ! Soit environ 22% des nids avec un œuf. Quand on atteindra les 95%, les filles et moi compteront tous les œufs de l’île. À en croire les chiffres des années précédentes cela devrait être aux alentours du 20 décembre. Avec les premiers œufs, les premiers Skuas sont aussi arrivés, installant leur nid et prêt à sanctionner la moindre inattention des  parents Manchots.

Force est de constater que cette première semaine s’est très bien passée. Je me sens vraiment bien sur notre petite île. L’équipe est au top. Mais la fatigue n’a pas encore fait ses ravages. À suivre…


Subscribe to our newsletter


Press Enquiries

We love to talk about the important heritage work that we do, telling the story of life in Antarctica both past and present. If you are interested in running a story about us, would like to arrange an interview, use our images or films, or want to discuss an opportunity to collaborate then get in touch.

For all press enquiries, please contact ukaht@89up.org or +44 (0) 203 411 28 89. For urgent press enquires out of office hours, please call +44 (0) 203 2 89 89 01.