Shackleton’s Ross Sea Party
The hut was next inhabited by Shackleton’s Ross Sea Party in May 1915. They were stranded with limited supplies after their ship Aurora was blown out to sea. Using Cape Adare as their winter quarters and main base, the party completed their depot laying for Shackleton’s planned crossing of the continent, using much of the supplies left behind to survive. With the return of Aurora in January 1917, the hut was closed up and not entered again for thirty years.